Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Unemployed but not jobless!!

Like I keep saying in every other blog post of mine, it’s been a while since I landed here in Singapore. And ever since then, I have been on the lookout for a job. Yes! True! I have been looking for a job since the mid of June 2009. Little more than a year now! And frankly I did not expect it to be so hard. I mean, my resume is up there on all the job portals, and I keep updating it every once in a while. My resume has been sent to the majority of job consultants here in Singapore and no response. I apply directly on company websites; rake up contacts from among relatives, friends, long lost friends, and people whom I barely know just for the want of a lead or a contact. All that’s left for me to do is to go bang on company doors and beg for an interview. It has not come to that stage yet I hope! :-)

Earlier, during this past year, the frustration levels just kept mounting up, with every rejection, and hopes of landing a job but not getting one. My visa status is primarily to blame and there’s nothing that I can do about that for a while. I used to keep cribbing, get depressed and moody and generally not a fun person to be with when I get into these moods. Of course I did try to keep myself busy, but there’s only so much that you can do all by yourself. The rest of the time you crave company and even though I had few friends here, they were all working. Basically, while on one hand, life was going great on the other hand, it just plain sucked!

But now, things are a lot better… thanks to a whole lot of friends, new and old. Some event or the other keeps happening and I have met a few kindred souls who are in the same leaky boat as mine. We give each other company and it’s fair to say that the frustration and depression levels are way down now. Not to say that they don’t come by once in a while, raking up their ugly face! But from a point, where the very topic of not having a job used to send me diving down into gloom, it’s come to a stand where, now it’s the resigned acceptance and the fact that if not a job something else has to be done / should be done! Some decisions have been taken and let’s hope that all’s well that ends well.

Things are looking up now. Not on the job front. But on the keeping-myself-busy front. :-) There are a whole lot of new friends, some very wonderful old friends and a whole lot of stuff that I keep busy with. Dances, library outings, get-togethers, cooking experiments, game nights and the like… In the midst of all this, a bit of blogging and photography too. But applying to jobs and trying to land one is the primary concern and that is still ongoing… :-) I still crave for a job because I like working and being employed and I am good at what I do! I know that! And that confidence still pushes me on through bleak moments! :-)

Life’s looking good and busier now! And I hope something good happens on the job front too, sooner than later! :-)

10 comments:

  1. I cn so relate to this.. Like u said its always gud havin someone to share ur frustration n desperation with.. To share sob stories and to jst hang out or go shopping with.. And am also sure that one day we'll be employed n nt jobless.. ;) our luck wil turn.. They say good things come to people who wait.. We've been waiting real long.. lets hope there's something real good at the end of this :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyy ... I can definitely say I can relate to you cos this was happening for over a yr with me .. I just strtd working on a contract .. Wishin u all the good luck ..You will be so busy very soon that you wont find time to peek at ur blog .. hugs ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get a job in India and work from Singapore ;-)
    Did you try getting into NGO/service kinds activities? Might go well with your taste..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baby, welcome to singaland. It sure kills you when finding a job but no where else offers the luxury of keeping yourself involved in a lot of things. These moments in life come rare but you sure get yourself involved in a lot of stuff which u wud have never thought off before. Enjoy this time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been there Aishu. I can totally understand and relate to that. Wish you all the best man! And trust me once you find a job you'd be complaining about how you have no time at all! :) Just enjoy the time you have now...I know that its easier said than done..but honestly tera number bji aayega aur till then make a best of your time at home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been there Aishu. I can totally understand and relate to that. Wish you all the best man! And trust me once you find a job you'd be complaining about how you have no time at all! :) Just enjoy the time you have now...I know that its easier said than done..but honestly tera number bji aayega aur till then make a best of your time at home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to see you are not stopping the blogging.. :) I think I know what its like to be without a job and wish you all the best in your search!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here is my free advice.

    1. Online trading...Quite famous among desperate housewives.

    2. ebay! - Buy from anywhere, Sell to the world.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. No probs honey ! The best can never be kept off for long. Things have to change, so don't be pessimistic-:)But till u land a job , keep cool & discover the world & the people around you . All the very best ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aishwarya..I was shaking my head in agreement with each statement. You are so right. I have been through the whole drama of job-hunting in Singapore. It's hell!
    I hope you do find a job and soon. And do keep blogging! Your post was very relatable and easy to read.

    ReplyDelete

Grahanam - A review!

It has been quite some time since I penned something on this blog, and even longer, since I wrote a movie review. But there is no good time ...