Saturday, August 28, 2010

For the love of Music!!

This has been a long pending blog post. I have wanted to write about this for a long time on and coincidentally reading about the ‘almost-same’ topic on a junior’s blog has just spurred me on.

Music! Beats! Rhythm! Songs! Lyrics!

I am sure all of us have been exposed to it in some way or the other... I am sure all of us like it in some form or the other. There are some songs that I hold close to my heart. They transport me to another world, a nostalgic world where memories of another time come into mind involuntarily.

Like classical music or devotional sings for instance! As far back as I can remember, the mornings in my home have always been a medley of devotional / classical songs played on the stereo, sometimes on television with the accompanying images of some beautiful temple and the morning rituals there. It’s from those numerous songs that I learnt the itty-bitty knowledge I have of ragas, sruthi and other musical nuances.

Some songs, I started listening to purely because of some singers. Not that I had not heard these songs before. And not that I did not like them. I liked them a fair amount. But some of these songs, when I have heard other people sing them, like friends at some school / college function, or people participating in some reality show on tv, or even somebody just humming it at some get-together ….

‘Malargale Malargale’ a song from a Tamil movie, and ‘Chaand taare’ from ‘Yes boss’ in Hindi have been my absolute favorites ever since I heard this classmate of mine – Vidhyashankar (yes! He was a participant in Idea Star Singer on Asianet!) – sing it the one time in college. As is the case with, ‘Ganeshaya deemahi’ from the album ‘Vishwa Vinayak’. He sang it as a prayer for one of the college functions and ever since then that song has been one of my all time favorites. It takes me back to a time when life was simpler, and the sole concerns were passing exams, getting a job and staying out of trouble. There have been lots of other songs like ‘Khalbali – Rang de Basanti’, ‘Tumse Milke – Parinda’, ‘Dilbar Mere Kab Tak Mujhe’ that have been sung on reality shows, some songs for which the dance choreography was brilliant and some for which just the simple lyrics have won me over!!

For me, music has always been synonymous with dance. I am positive I have mentioned this at least a couple of times in earlier posts, but when I listen to a song, the first thing that pops into my head how can this be choreographed. What steps can be put for the beats, what emotions can be portrayed for the feel or lyrics!!

To me, music and dance go hand in hand. They are inseparable to me!! They are one entity as much as I am concerned and without them life is nothing to me!!

That’s the way it has been so far and that’s the way I am sure it will be forever! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Grahanam - A review!

It has been quite some time since I penned something on this blog, and even longer, since I wrote a movie review. But there is no good time ...